Monday, January 31, 2011

My legs are sore!

Mom and Dad have lost their minds.  It is as simple as that.  They have been on a cleanse program since we left San Antonio, and said goodbye to Auntie Loke and Auntie Nai.  This was not a problem, seeing how it affected my diet of kibble and chicken jerky in no way shape or form.  However, they have NOW decided to run a marathon in June with Uncle Tait, Auntie Val, Uncle Nate, and Uncle Matty.  THIS IS AFFECTING ME! 

At first, it was fun.  Mom, Dad and I stayed at Fontainebleau State Park after leaving New Orleans.  We checked out a Great Horned Owl sitting on her eggs.  We looked for the Bald Eagle nest that the ranger described.  We ran on the nature trail.  They even let me off leash for awhile!  I LOVED it!  I was free, fast and wild!

THEN... the next morning they decided to stay another night rather than drive on into Mississippi.  It was a beautiful day, blue skies and a light breeze.  Birds were chirping happily, there was the light buzz of activity around the park as the few guests went about their day.  We read, we soaked up the sun, and then we ran again.  It felt great to get out of the van and feel dirt beneath my paw, (although I would have preferred sand!).  That night we had a big campfire and I kept watch for the pesky raccoons lurking in the shadows.  When we went to bed, I slept SO soundly!  Mom said I snored louder than Dad!

The next morning I woke up and could hardly move!  My legs were stiff and sore.  I was grateful that the sun was shining, and that Mom and Dad chose to stay yet again.  It meant more time to stretch out and be warm, less time in the back of Kea.  That day we were all a little (or very) tired, so a walk was the extent of our physical exertion.

The third morning, we ran again, this time for much longer and with fewer breaks.  Mom and Dad say that I am getting much better at running on the leash.  After our run, we packed up and left the lovely Louisiana State Park.  I am lucky I am a dog.  It means I get to sleep and not drive!

Mississippi welcomed us at their visitor center with Corn and Crab Bisque, strawberry cake, hot coffee and ice water.  What a great place!  However, due to the cleanse and the stupid rule about no people food for me, we all passed on the offerings (except a coffee for mom).  Paul B. Johnson State Park, located on a small lake, and just outside of Hattiesburg, was our destination for the evening.  The Mississippi we were in, did not match the images I had of the state.  No big Antebellum Homes, no swamp, just dry pine forest with a dense underbrush of live oak and some sort of vine.  And the people are very loud and excitable when their beloved sports teams are competing.  We barely slept with all the hollering, cheering, cussing, yelling going on in the next camp over.  At 1 in the morning, the partying was still going strong.  Dad said it wouldn't have been so bad if we could have been drinking cheap beer WITH them!  The next morning a rain storm settled over the southern part of the state, so after our 45 min run, we loaded into Kea and moved on to Alabama.

I will post some photos next time I get a chance.  My muscles still ache, but at least I get more treats now because they have glucosamine and chondroitin in them.  Mom & Dad weighed themselves this morning and each lost 6-7 pounds.  Mom looks amazing.  Dad's nose is running from allergies.  We love you all and hope your tails are wagging!

1 comment:

  1. This is a seriously erudite dog. And pretty good with technology considering the lack of an opposable thumb. :-)

    ReplyDelete